Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Campervan and Motor home Racing



I saw the refreshment campervans set outside the main parking area of the racetrack only to realise they would be completely demolished later on today in a petrol fuelled rage.

The office was no longer going to make a captive of me as I decided to venture into the fast paced world of Campervan and Motor home Racing. My friend who has obviously enjoyed too much time amongst petrol fumes had convinced me to join him for the day.

I've never been much of the racer type with my Toyota corolla and knew today would be unlike anything I had experienced. My friend appeared to implode with excitement as he talked about caravan racing, "It couldn't be a greater day for some caravan demolishing!" - He shouted.

Before the caravan racing, there were three other races. First up was the "ministox" which I was surprised to learn, involved 10 year olds racing around in souped up minis. I would have been happy to do a handstand at 10 years of age.

Following the ministox was the Rookie Bangers. These guys are more experienced and stupid. I would call them the clowns of the track. As soon as they came out it was a complete car crash. The metal chassis seemed to be magnetised to each other. They couldn’t stop crashing! It was a hilarious show of demented speeding cars. I don’t know whether it was the petrol fumes rewiring my brain but I couldn’t stop laughing.

Once the racing clowns had cleared the track, out came the craziest of them all. The caravan racers! It was the most destructive and bizarre event I had ever seen. It seemed the objective was to completely obliterate your caravan to your racing advantage. As they came around the bend towards us, a caravan was literally thrown into the air as it impacted into the side of another caravan and came flipping towards the fence. It was like being on the scene of a twisted action movie.

At the end of the race, lied the battle remains of the petrol fuelled carnage. I learned why this was the last race of the day.

No comments: